Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Interval 5

Have you ever loved someone dearly, but misunderstood their state of health for possibly death?I did, and it was nerve-wraking.

It started when my mother and I were having a delightful night, sitting on the couch and watching "Monsters Inc." It was just getting to me favortie part, but the phone rang, causing us both to jump slightly. I gasped and sprang to the phone. "Hello?" My voice was welcoming but slightly startled still.

"Hey, Meggy. This is grandpa. I- is your mother home?"

I had a gentle smile as I spoke again. "Yeah, hold on." I turned around and handed the shiny black phone to my mom. "Grandpa." I told her.

My mother threw me a conufused look as she took the phone. "Hello?" Her face turned to near horror before saying a few words in response. "Mmhm - ok - yeah - we have one." She sighed, and I knew something was wrong. "I'll be ove there a.s.a.p. Alrightly, bye." She stood up and huang the phone up.

"What's wrong?"
"Grandma's got the chills, and they think she might have to go to the hospital. " She looked at my terror-stricken facec. "I need to bring a thermometer over there."
"I'm going with you." I felt no need to discuss that.
"No, I don't wa-"
"I'm not staying here. I want to go with you." My voice was stern but scared.

My mother sighed and nodded in surrender. The ride there was terrible for eight P.M. There was so much traffic. My mom told be to stay in the car while she went inside without me. I sat in the van, fearful for my grandmother's life. "I was listening to every sound,praying that I would not hear ambulance's or a cry from someone inside the house. When my mother came out, I practically crawled out of my skin waiting for her news.

"How is she?"
"She's fine, honey. She just has a slight fever." She gave me a small smile before noticing my confused face. "What?"
"You said she might have to go to the hospital. You made it sound like she's gonna die!"
My mother laughed - I didn't. "Oh, I'm so sorry, baby. I meant that her only medicine for her heart is available to be taken at the hospital.
I let out a greatful sigh, hugging my mother. "Oh, thank God! I guess I misunderstood what you said. Gosh, I was so scared!"
My mother continued to hug and laugh into my sohulder, know how stupid I felt.

No comments: